Stale bread should never be thrown away since it can be turned into an easy-to-make cake ideal for breakfast or for an afternoon snack.
It is typical in every Italian region to reuse old bread to create new dishes, even cakes as in this case.
Another example of a cake made by reusing old bread is this torta-paesana
Serves 4; Prep 20 mins; Cook 20 mins. You will need a 24cm diameter cake mould
- Stale bread as needed, about 300g should be enough
- 50g raisins
- 50g walnut halves
- 500ml whole milk at room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 Apples such as Italian Renetta, Stark, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith
- 4 tablespoons of caster sugar
- a knob of unsalted butter
- a pinch of powdered cinnamon