Like so much else in Italian cookery, this Italian crispy potato dish traditionally called ‘Patate Maritate’, i.e. ‘Married Potatoes’, takes everyday ingredients and elevates them into something so delicious and good to look at that it can serve as a main course or a side dish.
It originates in the town of Pescasseroli, in Abruzzo region, central Italy, and combines thinly sliced potato with parsley, garlic and cheese. Truly a marriage made in Heaven.
Serves 4, Preparation time 20 mins, Cooking time approx. 50-60 mins
- 1kg potatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 250gm smoked Scamorza or Mozzarella cut into small cubes
- 100gm grated Pecorino
- 100gm breadcrumbs, ideally from stale bread, to taste
- 150gm of cooked ham, an optional extra
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, EVOO, to taste
Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6.