We’ve been using ready-packed frozen hake fillets, so no messy cleaning of the fish.
Many recommend cooking the fillets straight from the freezer, however we preferred to thaw them beforehand precisely to avoid the too watery effect in the pan.
Serves 2-3, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking approx 25-30 mins
- Frozen hake fillets, thawed, 500 g
- Whole Peeled Tomatoes or Tomato Passata : 250 g
- Pitted black olives: 70 g
- Capers in vinegar: 2 teaspoons
- (optional) Chilli peppers: 1
- Anchovy fillets in olive oil: 3 fillets
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): 3 tablespoons
- Salt: to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, to taste
Peel the garlic. Slice a few olives. Drain the capers.
Brown the garlic in 3 tablespoons of EVOO, add the anchovy fillets which will melt. Add chilli if you like, then whole or sliced olives, capers, stir, then the whole peeled tomatoes or tomato sauce, stir again and cook 15-20 minutes on a low heat. After this time, add the thawed and dried hake fillets, chopped parsley and if necessary a pinch of salt, cover with the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes over a low heat, turning the hake fillets from time to time and drizzling with Puttanesca sauce.