Mini potato and spinach cakes with a touch of Parmigiano cheese, oh so fluffy and perfect as a main course or as a starter.
Makes 6 cakes, Preparation 10 mins, Cooking 15 to 20 mins.
- 500g fresh spinach or 400g frozen spinach
- 3 medium-sized peeled potatoes
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- half onion or 1 shallot, finely sliced
- Grated Parmigiano cheese, 1 heaped tablespoon + a sprinkle
- salt, to taste
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tablespoons + a drizzle for the moulds
- breadcrumbs, to taste
Dice the potatoes and boil them in plenty of unsalted water.
Heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO in a frying pan and brown the onion or shallot for a few minutes, add the spinach and cook until it softens.
Drain the potatoes, mash them with a potato masher or a fork, put the puree in a bowl and leave to cool down for a bit.
Add the the beaten eggs, spinach, a tablespoon of grated Parmigiano, a pinch of salt, mix.
Preheat the oven to 180°/ F 350 / Gas 4.
Oil and dust single-portion moulds or muffin tins with breadcrumbs and fill them with the potato and spinach mixture. A sprinkle of Grated Parmigiano on top.
Bake in static oven 15 to 20 mins, wait a few minutes before removing them from the moulds, serve.