Some quick sweet flaky puff pastry bites we made with a light ricotta cheese and fresh fruit. Perfect as an end-of-meal or mid-afternoon sweet snack or even for breakfast.
Serves 3-4, Preparation 20 mins, Cooking 10 mins
- A ready-made puff pastry roll, ideally rectangular
- Soft ricotta cheese, 250 g
- Peaches and blackberries, to taste
- Caster sugar or honey, 2 level tablespoons
- Chopped peeled almonds, a handful
- Chocolate chips, a handful
- Chopped mint leaves, about 4-5
- 1 Egg per egg wash plus 1 teaspoon water
- Icing sugar, a sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 180 °C / 350 F / Gas 4.
Slice the peaches, leave blackberries whole.
In a bowl, mix the Ricotta cheese with sugar or honey until smooth. Add more sugar or honey to suit your taste.
With a sharp knife or pizza-cutter, cut the puff pastry into squares and prick them with a fork so that they do not swell during baking. Use the baking paper from the puff pastry roll and place it on a baking tray.
Leaving a small edge, spread the Ricotta cheese on each piece and fill with fruit pieces keeping aside few whole blackberry to add later; we also added chopped almonds to those with peaches and chocolate chips to those with blackberries.
Brush the edges with egg wash and bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated oven.
Remove from the oven, add chopped fresh mint leaves, dust with icing sugar and serve.