Yummy, healthy and satiating cannellini bean soup, enriched with smoked bacon. It will warm you up even on the coldest days and lift your spirit. Why not accompany it with some plain bruschetta bruschetta-italian-toasted-bread
Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins
- Cannellini beans, canned or dried: 200 g
- Smoked Pancetta cut into rashers 5 mm thick: 50 g
- Vegetable broth, about 600 ml
- Cherry tomatoes, better if a bit ripen: to taste
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Celery: 1 stalk, leaves included
- Chili pepper: 1
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 3 tablespoons
- Lukewarm water: as needed
- Salt and pepper: to taste
If you use dried beans:
Leave them in cold water to soak for 12 hours. Use 1 litre of water for every 200 grams of cannellini.
Then drain them and set them aside for cooking.
Chop the celery stalk and the leaves, peel the garlic cloves and halve cherry tomatoes.
Heat up 3 tablespoons of EVOO in a pan, fry up the garlic cloves and the chili pepper, celery. Add smoked pancetta and fry it until it becomes crispy, then add beans, cherry tomatoes, a pinch of salt, a couple of ladle of veggie broth, stir. Pour in enough broth or hot water to cover beans. Bring it to a gentle simmer. Stir thoroughly and leave to cook for 20 to 25 minutes with a lid, over low heat.
Remove garlic cloves from the soup, serve it warm with a drizzle of EVOO and some freshly ground black pepper.