This incredibly simple pasta sauce prepared with peeled plum tomato or tomato sauce with chilli pepper and grated Pecorino Romano cheese, is a regional specialty of Lazio, more specifically of the city Rome. Although you can pair it to any shape of pasta, it is usually enjoyed with penne, a short pasta shape with a hollow inside that fills up with sauce.
Each mouthful will make you spit fire like a happy satisfied dragon.
Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- Peeled plum tomatoes or Tomato sauce: 200 g – we have used: italian-tomato
- Penne rigate: 180 g
- Pecorino Romano, grated: 40 g – cheeses
- Fresh or Dried Chili peppers: 2
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Parsley, fresh: about 1 sprig – optional
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO): 2 tbsp – we have used: extra-virgin-olive-oil
- Salt: to taste
Finely chop the parsley and chili peppers, peel the garlic cloves.
Heat up the EVOO in a pan and fry up the garlic with chili peppers. Crush plum tomatoes with a fork, add them to the pan with a pinch of salt. Do not cover with a lid and let it simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes, stir occasionally.
Drain penne al dente and add them to the spicy tomato sauce in the pan, stir for a few minutes on low heat until the sauce is evenly distributed.
Garnish with grated Pecorino and/or with some parsley.