Fresh spinach in a risotto.
This recipe is great to force some vegetables into our day even when we feel like eating only comfort food. A bit of Italian Taleggio cheese and a sprinkle of Parmigiano as well, and even spinach can become a treat to lighten up a tired evening.
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- Carnaroli or Arborio rice: 350 g
- Spinach, fresh: 150 g
- Onions: about ½
- Parmesan, grated: 3 tbsp
- Italian Taleggio cheese: 100 g
- Butter, cold and unsalted: 2 tbsp
- Vegetable broth: as needed
- Salt and pepper: to taste
Rinse the spinach under cold running water.
Now you have two choices:
- Blanch them in a pot of boiling unsalted water for no more than 3 minutes, drain them, put them under a cold water or ice, then dry them and use a food processor to blend it into a puree and keep it aside.
- Chop them roughly and then add them raw to the pot with rice.
We chose the second one.
Dice the onion and brown it in a pot with a tablespoon of butter for about 1 min. Now add the rice and toast it for a few minutes in the butter, stirring it constantly on high heat and then simmer with white wine until evaporated.
From time to time, and not all together, pour in hot broth to cook the rice, ladle after ladle when the rice results too dry; let is simmer on medium heat and after a few minutes add the raw spinach. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and leave it to cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and the broth has dried completely.
Turn off the heat, add Taleggio cheese pieces, stir thoroughly and add a piece of cold butter to get more creaminess, then stir well again.
Serve the Risotto warm.
Tip: To make the vegetable broth you can use a stock cube – or you can make the broth yourself which is what we always encourage to do! Just boil together 1 carrot, 1 onion and a celery stalk, and for a more intense flavour simply add other vegetables, like leeks or some aromatic herbs like parsley, in particular the stalk. Check out our recipe for an Easy Every-Day Vegetable Broth & Veggie Patties
Looking for a Vegan version ? Take a look here: